Discount Freight Shipping Service Albany
International freight shipping in Albany is a complex procedure that requires the services of an international freight forwarder.
A freight forwarder is essentially a company or a person whose duties are to organize shipments of corporations or individuals, and to get large orders from manufacturers to the market or to the final point of distribution.
Freight Shipping Company in Albany contract carriers to facilitate the shipment of goods. The forwarder himself is not a carrier per se, but is skilled in supply chain management. Basically, these forwarders can be thought of as a travel agency for the cargo industry or as a third party logistics provider.
Australian Freight Shipping Service Albany
Freight Shipping can be booked for a whole host of carrier types, which include ships, trucks, planes and railroads. Some shipments can use multiple carrier types on route before it reaches its designated destination.
Freight shipping in Albany calls for very specific documentation as it has to go through multiple custom checks before being allowed to pass through. The forwarder would organize the carriage of your international shipment, along with helping the handling and processing of all the necessary paperwork. International forwarders also make sure that your shipment is arriving at the correct place at the specified time.
An international freight Company in Albany should traditionally guide you through the complicated process of international shipping, as they are the experts on the international freight shipping process. This way you can understand and aid your shipment and your freight forwarding company can benefit from this information.
A day in the life of a freight forwarder would consist of the following tasks:
The primary task of a Freight Shipping Company at work would be conversations and negotiations with clients and warehouses that they deal with worldwide. This is because they need to gather information for the purpose of passing it on to the concerned parties that they are doing business with or need to report to as authorities. These would include an SSL – Steam Ship Line, the United States Customs or they might even be the customer themselves.
International Discount Freight Shipping in Australia
Selecting or finding a freight broker or transportation carrier is one of the most critical decisions you will make in your business.
Why? Because if your orders are not delivered on-time and in one piece or without damage you will have likely lost a customer. Like it or not freight shipping services can make or break your company and they are an extension of your business.
The trucking and transportation industry is huge. On a typical day in the USA, about 43 million tons of goods, valued at about $29 billion, moved nearly 12 billion ton-miles on the nation's interconnected transportation network. These domestic numbers are according to the Bureau of Transportation Statistics and give you a simple snapshot of the scope or importance of this sector. It is staggering how crucial this business is when it comes to moving our goods and it can literally cripple a nation if it is shutdown for any length of time.
First lets define freight shipping services, freight broker and some other terms used in the shipping industry.
- Truckload: This is where the amount of cargo typically fills the truck. The owner of the goods is paying the cost for a full load to go from point A to point B.
- Consignor: Shipper, person or firm (usually the seller) who delivers a consignment to a carrier for transporting it to a consignee (usually the buyer) named in the transportation documents. Ownership (title) of the goods remains with the consignor until the consignee pays for them in full.
- Consignee: the person to whom merchandise is delivered over to or receiver.
- TDG: Transportation of Dangerous Good. A regulation used to ensure safe delivery and identification of hazardous goods.
- WHMIS: The Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS) is Canada's national hazard communication standard. The key elements of the system are cautionary labelling of containers of WHMIS "controlled products", the provision of material safety data sheets (MSDS) and worker education and training programs.
- Intermodal: Is when your shipment involves more than one mode or form of transportation during it trip from origin to destination. Your shipment might start off on a truck, get loaded on rail then ultimately end up in an ocean carrier or a ship.
- Air Freight Services: Carriage paid for goods transported in aircraft or air cargo.
- Freight Broker: A freight broker is an individual or company that serves as a liaison between another individual or company that needs shipping services and an authorized motor carrier.
- Customs Broker: Assist importers and exporters in meeting Federal requirements governing imports and exports. Brokers submit necessary information and appropriate payments to regulatory bodies behalf of their clients and charge them a fee for this service.
- LTL: Less than Truckload.
- FOB Point: Free on board aka freight on board. This term determines when legal title of goods passes from shipper to buyer. This RFQPro provides a detailed explanation on the importance of FOB Points and how they work.
We have put together some tips we hope will help you make a decision regarding selecting the right freight shipping service for your organization.
- Request routing or coverage areas. Smaller firms interline or join forces with other networks.
- Ask about fleet size and number of employees. Do they own their own trucks, how big is their fleet and do they sub-contract work (independents). This may not matter to you but an actual employee of the company versus and independent contractor is the point we are raising.
- How long they have been in business.
- Request a copy of their Spill response plan.
- Emergency response plan.
- Do they have a safety coordinator on staff. How do they handle training. Get copies of all certifications for handling dangerous goods and proof of driver certifications. If you are shipping toilet paper this may not be on your priority list however if you are moving fuel, chemicals or any other products which could damage the environment much of the above applies.
- Safety Records - Sample of an accident investigation performed in their organization.
- Ask for their damage claim history.
- Copy of their liability insurance. You may wish to request anywhere from $5 - 10 million depending on commodities they ship on your behalf.
- Workers compensation coverage.
These are just a few of the areas you may wish to target in evaluating and selecting your service provider.
Australian Freight Shipping Service Albany Australia
Freight forwarders are among the most important elements of the shipping industry. Without freight shipping services, businesses and individuals alike would be hard pressed to deliver their goods around the world. Commercial cargo is one of the driving factors of the global economy, and such bulk shipments are only made possible by the services of freight forwarders. No matter what type of business you own, unless you have a reliable and competent freight shipping supplier on your side, you will not be able to keep your clients happy or run a smooth ship - they are that crucial to a company.
Import/export companies are especially reliant upon the services of freight forwarders. Unless they can count on their shipments making to their ultimate destinations on time and under budget, they will not be able to keep their customers satisfied. A good freight shipping provider will not only offer their clients superior delivery services, but they will also have a logistics provider and customs broker on hand to take care of all the intricacies involved when shipping cargo overseas.
A good freight logistician will be able to chart out the proper route for shipping and shipment. Regardless of where a package must go or the budget restrictions of the client and competent logistician will be able to figure out the quickest and most cost efficient route for the cargo to take. Customs brokers complement the logistician services by clearing all shipments through customs. Depending on the kind of goods a business is shipping and the ultimate destination of the shipments, there are bound to be hurdles to jump and red tape to cut through before it can be cleared through customs. Unless you have an in-house customs broker who can do this job for you, then having a customs broker service offered by your freight forwarder is essential.
Without freight forwarders to do the heavy lifting for the shipping industry, the global trade/supply chain would not be quite as big as it is now or run as smoothly as it does currently. It is only through their expert management and tracking of each and every shipment that business is able to be conduct on such a grand, international scale.
In the future freight forwarders face the dilemma of keeping their costs down while still providing top-notch services to their clients. The rising cost of fuel and labour mean that at some point the industry will have to revise their work methods in order to continue offering a competitive service. Otherwise, businesses that find shipping costs eat into their bottom line too much, might decide that they will only service a more local clientele or find alternate means of providing for their customers.
The freight forwarding industry will continue to thrive regardless. However, its growth might slow down some in the future unless it is able to meet the infrastructure demands required of a constantly growing shipping industry. No matter what happens, the outlook for the world's freight forwarders is still rosy.