Discount Freight Shipping Service Ballarat
International freight shipping in Ballarat is a complex procedure that requires the services of an international freight forwarder.
A freight forwarder is essentially a company or a person whose duties are to organize shipments of corporations or individuals, and to get large orders from manufacturers to the market or to the final point of distribution.
Freight Shipping Company in Ballarat contract carriers to facilitate the shipment of goods. The forwarder himself is not a carrier per se, but is skilled in supply chain management. Basically, these forwarders can be thought of as a travel agency for the cargo industry or as a third party logistics provider.
Australian Freight Shipping Service Ballarat
Freight Shipping can be booked for a whole host of carrier types, which include ships, trucks, planes and railroads. Some shipments can use multiple carrier types on route before it reaches its designated destination.
Freight shipping in Ballarat calls for very specific documentation as it has to go through multiple custom checks before being allowed to pass through. The forwarder would organize the carriage of your international shipment, along with helping the handling and processing of all the necessary paperwork. International forwarders also make sure that your shipment is arriving at the correct place at the specified time.
An international freight Company in Ballarat should traditionally guide you through the complicated process of international shipping, as they are the experts on the international freight shipping process. This way you can understand and aid your shipment and your freight forwarding company can benefit from this information.
A day in the life of a freight forwarder would consist of the following tasks:
The primary task of a Freight Shipping Company at work would be conversations and negotiations with clients and warehouses that they deal with worldwide. This is because they need to gather information for the purpose of passing it on to the concerned parties that they are doing business with or need to report to as authorities. These would include an SSL – Steam Ship Line, the United States Customs or they might even be the customer themselves.
International Discount Freight Shipping in Australia
Selecting or finding a freight broker or transportation carrier is one of the most critical decisions you will make in your business.
Why? Because if your orders are not delivered on-time and in one piece or without damage you will have likely lost a customer. Like it or not freight shipping services can make or break your company and they are an extension of your business.
The trucking and transportation industry is huge. On a typical day in the USA, about 43 million tons of goods, valued at about $29 billion, moved nearly 12 billion ton-miles on the nation's interconnected transportation network. These domestic numbers are according to the Bureau of Transportation Statistics and give you a simple snapshot of the scope or importance of this sector. It is staggering how crucial this business is when it comes to moving our goods and it can literally cripple a nation if it is shutdown for any length of time.
First lets define freight shipping services, freight broker and some other terms used in the shipping industry.
- Truckload: This is where the amount of cargo typically fills the truck. The owner of the goods is paying the cost for a full load to go from point A to point B.
- Consignor: Shipper, person or firm (usually the seller) who delivers a consignment to a carrier for transporting it to a consignee (usually the buyer) named in the transportation documents. Ownership (title) of the goods remains with the consignor until the consignee pays for them in full.
- Consignee: the person to whom merchandise is delivered over to or receiver.
- TDG: Transportation of Dangerous Good. A regulation used to ensure safe delivery and identification of hazardous goods.
- WHMIS: The Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS) is Canada's national hazard communication standard. The key elements of the system are cautionary labelling of containers of WHMIS "controlled products", the provision of material safety data sheets (MSDS) and worker education and training programs.
- Intermodal: Is when your shipment involves more than one mode or form of transportation during it trip from origin to destination. Your shipment might start off on a truck, get loaded on rail then ultimately end up in an ocean carrier or a ship.
- Air Freight Services: Carriage paid for goods transported in aircraft or air cargo.
- Freight Broker: A freight broker is an individual or company that serves as a liaison between another individual or company that needs shipping services and an authorized motor carrier.
- Customs Broker: Assist importers and exporters in meeting Federal requirements governing imports and exports. Brokers submit necessary information and appropriate payments to regulatory bodies behalf of their clients and charge them a fee for this service.
- LTL: Less than Truckload.
- FOB Point: Free on board aka freight on board. This term determines when legal title of goods passes from shipper to buyer. This RFQPro provides a detailed explanation on the importance of FOB Points and how they work.
We have put together some tips we hope will help you make a decision regarding selecting the right freight shipping service for your organization.
- Request routing or coverage areas. Smaller firms interline or join forces with other networks.
- Ask about fleet size and number of employees. Do they own their own trucks, how big is their fleet and do they sub-contract work (independents). This may not matter to you but an actual employee of the company versus and independent contractor is the point we are raising.
- How long they have been in business.
- Request a copy of their Spill response plan.
- Emergency response plan.
- Do they have a safety coordinator on staff. How do they handle training. Get copies of all certifications for handling dangerous goods and proof of driver certifications. If you are shipping toilet paper this may not be on your priority list however if you are moving fuel, chemicals or any other products which could damage the environment much of the above applies.
- Safety Records - Sample of an accident investigation performed in their organization.
- Ask for their damage claim history.
- Copy of their liability insurance. You may wish to request anywhere from $5 - 10 million depending on commodities they ship on your behalf.
- Workers compensation coverage.
These are just a few of the areas you may wish to target in evaluating and selecting your service provider.
Australian Freight Shipping Service Ballarat Australia
Freight shipping, which is usually determined by weight, is the way to go when you have an extremely large package that won't be able to be delivered via traditional methods. A good example of this is furniture delivery - one cannot box up a sofa and bring it into the local post office.
While it is okay to bring some large parcels into a normal courier agency, most of them cannot exceed 70 pounds for overnight service. Freight companies on the other hand, can deliver several hundred pounds of merchandise. The mode of transportation for these services can vary and often include:
- Ocean liners
- Trucks and
The transit options you choose will greatly depend on the time frame you are working with as well as the item to be delivered. For example, if one is having a car delivered in the continental United States, it may very well arrive via train or freight truck. On the other hand, take this same car and move it to Europe and it may be delivered first by train then by cargo ship.
Freight costs fluctuate and are calculated by the weight and class of the item. Freight shipping is also determined by whether the shipment is a commercial or a residential one.
Commercial freight shipping
Commercial freight shipping is usually initiated by businesses. These companies usually have large amounts of heavy inventory to move all at once. This cargo can be construction site machinery, medical equipment of office furniture. Special discounts can be applied to companies who utilize freight shipping on a regular basis.
Residential freight shipping
Residential freight shipping is usually applied in situations where large items such as autos or home furniture are delivered to a home. Freight costs can be paid by the company you are purchasing your items from. For example, shipping costs may be added into the final purchase price when buying a living room or bedroom set from a furniture store.
International freight shipping
If one were going to Europe for an extended stay visit or moving there permanently, they would use a courier company that specializes in international goods shipping. These shippers are well versed providing service both domestically and abroad.
Reliability and Reputation
With both residential and commercial freight, you will want to ask around and find a reputable company with a good track record of on time delivery. You will also want call any references see if they have been held liable for damaging goods. Check to see if they offer a guarantee or insurance as well and go over the ins and outs of the contracts you sign to see what their accountability is should they fail to deliver or harm your items in transit.
There are hundreds of freight companies operating all over the country and internationally and all have the capacity to move an item from point A to point B. The true merit of a freight company however is in its customer service and attention to detail.
How effective would a company be if you can't get straight answers or have someone return phone calls regarding your shipments?
And suppose a package gets lost or misplaced - how will the company handle it?
These are all very necessary things to know about any shipping company before you sign any contracts or pay any fees.
Companies that offer freight services can easily be located on the Internet. Because there are several different types of courier services and modes of transportation available you may wish to do some comparison shopping for the best rates. Once you locate a company that seems fair make arrangements to have your valuable items processed and sent off as soon as possible.