Discount Freight Shipping Service Sydney
International freight shipping in Sydney is a complex procedure that requires the services of an international freight forwarder.
A freight forwarder is essentially a company or a person whose duties are to organize shipments of corporations or individuals, and to get large orders from manufacturers to the market or to the final point of distribution.
Freight Shipping Company in Sydney contract carriers to facilitate the shipment of goods. The forwarder himself is not a carrier per se, but is skilled in supply chain management. Basically, these forwarders can be thought of as a travel agency for the cargo industry or as a third party logistics provider.
Australian Freight Shipping Service Sydney
Freight Shipping can be booked for a whole host of carrier types, which include ships, trucks, planes and railroads. Some shipments can use multiple carrier types on route before it reaches its designated destination.
Freight shipping in Sydney calls for very specific documentation as it has to go through multiple custom checks before being allowed to pass through. The forwarder would organize the carriage of your international shipment, along with helping the handling and processing of all the necessary paperwork. International forwarders also make sure that your shipment is arriving at the correct place at the specified time.
An international freight Company in Sydney should traditionally guide you through the complicated process of international shipping, as they are the experts on the international freight shipping process. This way you can understand and aid your shipment and your freight forwarding company can benefit from this information.
A day in the life of a freight forwarder would consist of the following tasks:
The primary task of a Freight Shipping Company at work would be conversations and negotiations with clients and warehouses that they deal with worldwide. This is because they need to gather information for the purpose of passing it on to the concerned parties that they are doing business with or need to report to as authorities. These would include an SSL – Steam Ship Line, the United States Customs or they might even be the customer themselves.
International Discount Freight Shipping in Australia
There are several differences between shipping items with an Air freight company and shipping with an LTL carrier. As you may guess, the main difference is the mode of transportation that is used to move product from the origin point to the final destination. LTL carriers use a network of trucks consolidating freight along the way through their break bulk points before the product is finally delivered. Air carriers use a group of local trucks to pick up and deliver the freight, but utilize a network of airlines (both commercial and cargo) to do the bulk of the freights movement. By comparing the basic transportation difference, you can probably also determine the next main difference in shipping with an LTL carrier vs. shipping through an Air carrier; that would be transit time.
Air carriers can also offer something the LTL carriers cannot, which is next day or 2nd day services from any origin point in the US to any US destination point. Due to the way LTL carriers network their equipment, it would be very difficult for an LTL carrier to provide next day or 2ND day services for shipments moving over 500 miles. Also, air carriers can provide guaranteed delivery dates for next day and 2nd day shipments. This is a very good service that fits a customer's need to get product to the final destination quickly and on time. This type of service does introduce us to the third main difference in shipping LTL vs. air and that is price.
Air carriers will provide very quick transit times and can easily guarantee delivery dates, but in comparison to the cost of shipping a product LTL, shipping via air freight can be very expensive. This type of service is not something a customer will use on a regular basis but can be very helpful in a time of need.
One other difference between LTL freight and air freight is how a customer's price is calculated. LTL carriers take into account the origin and destination zip codes, the products total weight and freight class. Air carriers calculate rates based on the origin zip code, destination zip code, and the products total weight and dimensions. Freight class is not used to calculate air freight. Air freight rate shipments based on a per pound rate based on the greater of either the shipments actual weight or the dimensional weight.
To calculate a products dimensional weight, you will multiply the shipments length, width and height (in inches) and then divide the total by 194. You then would compare that number against the shipments actual weight. The greater amount of the two is what you would use to calculate the total cost.
Dimensional weight example: A customer has a shipment that weighs 1000 lbs and is 48" long X 58" wide X 72" high. To find out which is greater, the dimensional weight or the actual weight, you would use the below equation:
(L) 48 * (W) 58 * (H) 72 = 200,488
200,488/194 = 1033 dim weight
In this example, the product's dimensional weight is greater than the products actual weight. One thing that LTL carriers and Air carriers have in common is the fact that they are renting out container space on the vehicle they are moving the product with. If a product has a dimensional weight that is greater than the actual weight, the carrier must be able to make up for potential lost revenue.
Australian Freight Shipping Service Sydney Australia
For shipping your goods from one place to another, especially from one country to another, International freight shipping company is considered a better option. When you browse through the web you will come across various companies claiming to be the best one. Then how do you select the one that meets your needs timely? For choosing the right shipping company, here are some tips.
* If you are new to the business of import and export, then you need to do preliminary research of listing the companies that have the experience of carrying the goods from one place to another. Specially check whether they have the appropriate facility for moving the goods on particular route you are looking for. Short-list the companies that meet your need. Send them the request and compare the international freight rates.
* Check out the rates and see whether they are offering with facility of order tracking system or not. Ask them for client reference and cross check it. This will help you in knowing what exactly the quality of the services being offered was. Did the company provide quality and timely services or not? Did the customer face any problem with the services? Were the goods in good condition when the final delivery was made or not?
* Next thing is to see whether the company understands the specific needs of the product type. If you are dealing with perishable items them it becomes necessary to check whether they have the refrigeration facility or not. These things differ with the weather conditions of the country where you are sending the goods.
* Many shipping companies provide secondary services to their customers. These include custom clearance, payment of taxes and duties, covering of documentation issues, etc. They know the shipping and freight laws of various countries and will help you in knowing & abiding by them. Even some companies offer with supply chain management facility also.
* Freight companies have tie-ups with custom brokers, & various domestic freight agents/ companies. Have the details of them if possible. This will help you in telling the customer, exactly who will be delivering the products and by what time.
These things will help you in knowing more about freight service provider and take a wiser decision.